Sunday, December 19, 2010

K.I.S.S. Scud

Scud's are translucent and range from tan to light olive.

This is a scud from one of my local streams. Scud's are an overlooked food source by many anglers, it's very abundant an in the streams year round.

Most Czech nymphs imitate Caddis larva but they also imitate scuds. I use fluorescent orange thread to add a small hot spot on the rear and behind the bead.

This K.I.S.S. pattern is easy and a quick tie.



Size – 14 - 16 Grub Hook
Thread – Danville Flymaster Plus 210,  Fluorescent Orange 503
Head – Tungsten Bead 2.3 mm,  Gold
Body – Hairline Ice Dub UV Tan
Shell Back – Pearl Flashabou
Rib – Fine Copper Wire

3 comments:

  1. Added to my list of ones to tie this winter. Thanks for the recipe.

    Mark

    ReplyDelete
  2. Scuds are a mainstay in my fishing arsenal. Western Wisconsin streams are loaded with them...Nice pattern

    ReplyDelete