Thursday, January 26, 2012

Where's the hook?

I never heard this selling angle before. 

Troy from American Milestone left a message, re: an opportunity to be part of an “interstitial program” that featured Joan Lunden.  So what's an interstitial program?  Well, it’s a 3 - 5 minute editorial used to bridge the gap between longer PBS programs.  Cool you might say.  Okay… so I called back to find out more after doing a little research on line.  Everything seemed above- board.

The phone call was pleasant and Troy informed me about the show and what they do.  He asked a few questions, but really didn’t have a clue what I did or what Fly and Fin was.  So I played along, because I didn't know what he wanted yet.  After a few questions about Fly and Fin (which he never referred to by name) he came to the real nature of the call. 

The question was what kind of advertising budget I had.  Advertising budget? 

I tried not to laugh, and said I had modest budget ($0.00 to be exact).  He then said creating a program might not be a match unless I had $22,000.00 dollars to pay for the piece.  I said no thank you, hung-up the phone and had a good laugh.

Later I was talking to The Jersey Angler about this weekend’s Fly Fishing show and told him what happened.  He said, “Well, it’s obvious your blog is getting out there.” 

No comments:

Post a Comment